12.11.2010

Christmas Market at La Sagrada Familia





December 7, 2010
            Since I live so close to La Sagrada Familia, I am lucky enough to pass by there and it’s surrounds on an almost daily basis. Sometimes living in such a touristy area is a little frustrating because of how crowded it gets,  but when the outside Christmas market opened up I was so excited! I saw them setting up for it for days and it was great to see the final market set up and in action. Although this definitely brings even more tourism to the area, there is such a Christmas spirit all around that it doesn’t bother me. The area is surrounded by little booth after booth of all sorts of Christmas décor and food around. People are selling mini Christmas trees, mistletoe and even cotton candy! One item that I see everywhere that I did not know about before is the Tió de Nadal, or “Tió” or even “Caga tió” which represents the “Christmas log.” This is a very traditional for Catalan at Christmas, and it is a character in Catalan mythology relating to a Christmas tradition widespread in Catalonia. It consists of a hollow log that stands on two or four sticks for feet and has a face painted with a happy smile, a pair of eyes, nose that usually sticks out and a little red cloth to cover it. The tradition is that starting on December 8, for the Immaculate Conception, one gives their tió a little bit to eat each night until Christmas Eve or Day and order it to “poop.” In order to get it to “poop” they beat it with a stick  while singing various songs. The tió usually drops candies, nuts and torrons (typically made of honey, sugar and white egg ) which are to be shared by all. This is such an interesting tradition and I have never heard of it or anything really like it before. I am glad I asked around and found out what it was because I really do see them everywhere now that people are getting ready for Christmas. Overall, the Christmas market is spectacular, especially with being able to look at Sagrada Familia at any given moment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment